Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Change is a Good Thing..

It has been a really long time since I have written a post, but with all the time I have on my hands at work, I decided that it is time to get back into it.  Recently, I've been reading through all of my old posts and creeping myself on Facebook.  It is simply amazing to me how much I have changed as an individual over the past three years not only physically, but emotionally as well.

Looking back at my pictures, I noticed that I have changed a lot physically.  At this point in my life, I am eating right, exercising, and trying my best to maintain a good body weight.  However, I would not be able to do this if it were not for some important people in my life doing it with me.  Since they wanted to better themselves, I decided to jump on board as well. It is really nice to have people who motivate and encourage me, especially on days I really do not feel like working out or eating healthy.

During my freshman and sophomore years of college, I would work out every once in awhile, but I never really stuck with it.  Not only did I not exercise properly, but I ate a lot of sweets, fast food, and pop. In contrast, this year I run at least two to three times a week, eat a lot less, eat a lot healthier, and do not drink pop. Running has become something that I love to do, when at one point in my life, I despised it.  Since I am not very fast and I do not run correctly, it has been hard for me to get motivated and enjoy running.  Things have now changed though and I run whenever I can. As a result of that, I have lost almost ten pounds since last May.  One would think that is not that much, but for a girl my size, it is enough.  I'm very proud of how far I've come and plan to continue to better myself through healthy living, keeping my faith, and exercise.

As I kept scrolling through old pictures, I couldn't help but notice the places my pictures were taken and who they were taken with.  My first two years of college were pretty rough, but it did not stop me from having fun. There were countless late nights, cru parties, junk food consumption, intramural games, and many other activities I engaged in.  As time flew by and I moved into a house and gained new friends, I started to realize that I was no longer interested in engaging in certain activities.  In a sense, my interests changed over the past two years and things that were once of importance to me, no longer are.  Yes, I still have a lot of fun, just in a much different way.

Since I now get the privilege of living with my best friend, we like to make our own fun together by doing crafts, going for ice cream, going on double dates, completing devotions at Boomer Lake, and fighting with "our" brother.  I also have a significant other now, so I get to watch movies, go on dinner dates, attend sporting events, go to plays, and hang out with him a lot, which I love.  In addition, I now have a sister who is a senior, I get to watch her play sports one last time, help her with school projects, go shopping, attend sporting events, and hang out with her and my parents before she graduates.  Since one of my best friends and her husband live in my hometown, I like to visit them and spend time with them as well.  As one can see, a lot of my priorities have shifted from things and people here at college, to things and people at home.  Although I like to go home a lot, the friendships from cru, my classes, and SPURS that I have made over the past few years are still very important to me, so I make time for bonding and catching up with them as well.  In a sense, I am getting the best of both worlds. School and newer friends are here at college, but my family, my man, and old friends are at home.

It is amazing how one can change over such a short period of time.  Since I now know what I want to do in life, where I want to live, who I want to spend my life with, and the people I want to stay in touch with...life seems to make a lot more sense.  I am extremely happy with where I am in my life and I could not be more blessed.  I have the best family, friends, and boyfriend that a girl could ask for and I would not change that for the world. My life is by no means perfect, nor will it ever be, but I am thankful for the way it is turning out so far. 

I have not always viewed change as a good thing, but at this point in my life, I would say it is a very, very good thing. I urge you readers of this blog to take a look at your own life and find things you are grateful for. Go back and look at where you were two, three, or even ten years ago and see the difference those years have made. Are you happier now? Are you a better person? What motivated you to become who you are? Who helped get you to this point? Do you believe change is a good thing? Ponder on your life and be sure to thank the big man upstairs for the life you live and for allowing you time on this earth. We only have one life to live...how will you live it?

No comments:

Post a Comment