Friday, July 8, 2011

Fighting to Create a World with More Birthdays.

Before you read my blog, I want you to do something for me. Actually, it isn't for me at all, it's solely for you.  If you follow the link below it'll take you to a very moving video. It's only 3.5 minutes long so it won't take too much of your time. Please just watch it...it'll touch your heart in more ways than you can imagine. You may shed a few tears, take a moment to say a prayer, or just sit in silence when it's over, but I urge you to come back and read my blog. I think you'll enjoy what I have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH3MIKsqaeY&feature=related

Did you enjoy it? Did it touch your heart? Did it make you reevaluate certain things you do in life? Did it make you happy to be alive? Are you ready to start making a difference? If the video didn't make you rethink the way you live your everyday life, you may want to get a reality check...and do it quick.  There isn't one thing in this life that I dislike more than the word cancer.  It's everywhere and no one likes to hear it.  It's a terrible disease that affects the lives of so many innocent, beautiful, loving people in this world.  It saddens my heart to know that no matter how hard people work to find a cure, it's a slow process that potentially could never work. But it's a chance I'm willing to take. I hope and pray everyday that the money and time I give will aide in helping cure this sickening disease.

There are so many ways that the average joe could help those who have come in contact with this disease.  After watching the video, you can see that we spend money on stupid, pointless things.  We do this in order to either feel better about ourselves, please our taste buds, or give us a nicotine fix. Selfish much?! No one needs to supersize their meal at McDonalds... No one needs to buy packs and packs of cigerettes (which I must say can cause cancer and kill you. Don't get me started.)... No one needs a mocha everyday after work... No one needs any of these things to keep them happy, definitely not healthy, or any more popular or better than the next person. So why do we give in?!!

Ever since I was in middle school. I have had a soft spot in my heart for people who have been diagnosed or affected with cancer.  I wasn't very close to anyone that had it or anything, but it was something that was near and dear to me.  I decided to start getting involved with Relay for Life in our community.  Being a part of such a great organization was one of the best things I could have ever done in my entire 20 years of living.  Though I usually was the only one on my team that really cared about Relay and why we were doing it at that age, I still strove to do my part and make a difference in people's lives through my involvement.  Now as I've grown up a little, I've seen more and more people become a victim to cancer.  Here recently a beautiful, strong, unbelievably talented, down right inspirational friend crossed over into a new life because of that nasty word.  Though I know she's as happy as a lark, carefree, and dancing with Jesus without a pain near her, it still hurts to see her go.  I know that what I'm doing through the Relay for Life is giving others the chance to have more birthdays, more time with family, less tears, and another day at living.

Tonight is the Major County Relay for Life at the Fairview Football Field.  It's at 7:00 pm and lasts all evening.  I urge you to go out and see what it is all about.  Not only will there be countless survivors present, but there will also be a huge number of people just like you and me out there for support.  Cancer is all around us and it is up to us to figure out how to fight it.  Even though I am not on a team this year or on the committee, you can guarantee I will be making an appearanc to let those survivors and the ones fighting this disease know that I'm there for them. I'm praying for them and cheering them on in their battle, which they will win.  So how about you? Will you make a difference and give up a little to give a lot? Or will you just sit back and watch others take action?

I challenge each and every one of you to either make a team, join a team, donate some money, or just go to a relay and see what it’s like…I promise you, it’ll change your life forever.

“If not us, then who?  If not now, then when?"                   
-John Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment